3.15.2009

My Series of Unfortunate Events...

Before I get to the song of the week, please allow me to vent a bit. The previous week was Spring Break. For most people this is an exciting time to make plans and get away, go on some crazy adventure, make lasting memories, etc. Oh don't worry, there were crazy adventures and lasting memories I assure you. However, not the kind of memories and stories I would have hoped to blog about.
It started like this: Monday was a pretty easy going day. I went to work and did my daily routine there. Two of my friends stayed in the dorms during break and we had made plans to cook dinner and watch a movie, ya know just take it easy. Which is what we did, it was wonderful. Hannah made a great dinner and we had fun watching the plethora of movies. And then it happened at 3 in the morning. Don't worry I will spare you the details. I woke up with an odd feeling, ya know the one that says, "Oh no, where's the bathroom!" Yep, that's right friends, I got sick. So after cleaning that mess up it's about 4 in the morning and I have to be at work at 9. I get to work stay for the staff meeting and go home. When I arrived at my humble abode I had spiked a fever and had the chills. Mind you, I haven't had food in over 12 hours and I am in no way going to eat. Wednesday begins with me in bed and ends with me in bed. The next day I'm feeling better, so I go to work. I worked all day and felt fine. Friday I wake up and I'm feeling a little under the weather but not to worry, nothing like Monday. Here it is Sunday night and I have a fever of 101.2, sore throat, coughing and surprised my lungs are still inside where they belong, oh and did I mention I can't talk? I sound like a 4 year old girl according to a couple of people. 
In case you were wondering, I did not get any of my goals accomplished. However, I did find an interesting Sushi place. Oh and that's a story in itself.  Oh yeah, Sarah and I went to the Cupcakery, and yet another story. Ready? (sorry this is going to be a longer blog.)
Aimee, Hannah and I decide that I am feeling better and we need something to do. I've been cooped up in this dorm for too long. Sushi sounds good, right? On our way to the restaurant, Hannah is consistently telling me this is the wrong one, we need to turn around, this area doesn't look right. Being my stiff-necked self, I told her I knew what I was doing, and besides these are the directions off the Internet. We end up downtown in a really bad area of town, after dark. It was a lock the doors and drive straight kinda moment. Hannah calls her cousin and we get to the right restaurant in a hurry. On to the Cupcakery story with Sarah...
My best friend has never been to the Cupcakery in Central West End, shocking! So we head down there for some amazing cupcakes, great atmosphere and, some food! It was a great time. If you haven't experienced the Cupcakery, you are missing out my friend! I got a raspberry one and it was SO good. It had raspberry filling in the middle and a light raspberry icing, yum! We then head to Crepes etc. That was scrumptious and if you have yet to visit that restaurant...you're living under a rock. They have the best food for a decent price too, a college kid's dream :) So after our stomachs are stuffed with goodness we start the journey back home. Sarah and I are roughly 10 mins from home and we get captured by the sobriety checkpoint, oh joy. The wait wasn't so bad and the cop was really nice. But, where I'm from the cops drink with the kids so I was no way prepared. I was driving Sarah's car and had forgotten to grab my licences off the dresser. Of course the police officer is going to ask for that, and he does. As he's asking me for them, I'm coughing up part of my lungs. I think he felt bad for me, because I told him I forgot to grab them and all he says is to remember to take them the next time I'm out. 
In all of this craziness and stressful Spring Break, I have learned to lean on God a little more. I asked for patience and God puts me in these situations to strengthen my character. As trivial as these things are now, they were stressful going through them. I thank God that when I don't understand why this is happening or how long must this continue, He is sovereign. God is in control, and I am grateful for that. Hebrews 2:8 says that God has left nothing out of His control and what a wonderful promise! If I was in control I would mess my life up. Therefore, the song of the week (drum roll please) would have to be Jeremy Camp, Enough. God is more than enough for me, more awesome than I know, and all I have is in God is more than enough. 
So there you have it friends, my ridiculously long blog of the week. I pray that you would lay down your burdens and concerns about the following week and focus on the One who created life. Thank God He's in control and is more than enough for you. He is, after all, the reason you are alive today. 

No comments: